Fellow-Innovation Full Stack Developer & Team Lead
Job no: 492499
Department: ITS - Academic Tech
The Davidson College ITS Department has an opening for the position of Fellow - Innovation Full Stack Developer & Team Lead. The Innovation Developer/Team Lead will recruit and manage a team of student developers in support of innovation projects. S/he, along with the development team, will work with the ITS Digital Innovation team to design, build, and support a technically diverse portfolio of prototypes, new applications, and pilot projects.
As a member of the ITS team, the Innovation Developer/Team Lead is expected to uphold the department's mission to "drive digital transformation that advances Davidson's primary purpose" and contribute positively to a culture of collaboration, transparency, empathy, innovation, and accountability within ITS.
Current Davidson students graduating in May or 2016 graduates with an interest in innovation, full stack programming, agile development, and entrepreneurship are encouraged to apply. This is a salaried position, full-time, one or two year appointment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Application Programming & Support (65%)
- Participate in or lead scrums, design sprints, and other agile-development project processes.
- Assist the Innovation team in the development, testing, deployment, and maintenance of the application platforms and development environments that support innovation projects.
- Support software-related components of prototypes, pilots, and projects, including investigating and troubleshooting issues, optimizing resources, and performance tuning.
- Work directly with end users to respond to requests for service, engage them in testing or piloting of systems/services, and to provide training on new systems.
- Document development environments, application platforms, system standards, and other project or system attributes.
- Assist in the evaluation, selection, and implementation (installation, configuration, customization, testing, etc.) of new third-party software systems and services, whether hosted on-site or in the cloud.
- Participate in system testing during software and infrastructure upgrade cycles, following test plans and documenting results.
Project & Team Management (35%)
- Recruit, manage, and develop a team of student developers in support of innovation projects.
- Develop and manage student team project plans and timelines -- including the scheduling and assignment of tasks, setting and expectations.
- Prepare and provide status, activity, project updates and reports, and other communications, as needed or requested.
- Evaluate developed solutions are being used to their fullest advantage and yielding the greatest possible efficiencies.
- Maintain current knowledge of best practices and future trends in full stack development, and participate in user communities, professional associations, and conferences to share expertise and learn from others.
This position requires a detail-oriented, strategic thinker who will bring a passion for experimentation and digital learning to ITS@Davidson, and:
- Must be a member of the Davidson College Class of 2016 or 2017
- Possess strong problem identification and solving skills
- Able to learn and work independently and in collaboration
- Experience with code versioning tools (i.e. GIT, SVN).
- Understanding of at least one programming language (i.e. Python, PHP, Rails, etc.)
- A 'can-do' attitude to challenges; energized by change and thriving in team-based work.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and customer service skills and ability to establish good working relationships with a wide range of people.
- Project and time management skills, with ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Experience with a development framework (Djanjo, CakePHP, Ruby, etc.).
- Proficiency in at least one additional programming/markup language, such as Python, XML, PHP, PERL.
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to learn new languages and frameworks.
- Demonstrated proficiency using web resources for coding, like Stack Overflow
- Experience with Unix/Linux shell scripting.
- Experience with mobile development for Android and IOS.
- Experience deploying solutions in platforms like Amazon Web Services (AWS) Docker and/or Heroku.
- Experience with RESTful APIs and web services.
- Knowledge of the Agile framework, Scrum, and lean startup methodology.
Please provide a resume and cover letter with your application by April 21, 2017.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend