Interested in helping a leading US liberal arts college support its on-site servers, storage and networks today – while pivoting this infrastructure towards hybrid cloud and XaaS models tomorrow? Do you want to help a fast-moving IT organization on its mission to modernize technology experiences? And do you have the aptitude to learn, grow and change with us as we experiment together to reinvent our core services?
If so, you may be the right person to join Davidson College ITS!
We are seeking a talented, creative, and innovative technologist to join our Infrastructure team as a system administrator. At Davidson, we're in the middle of an effort to rethink and transform IT from the inside out, and this position is a key part of our evolutionary journey. In addition to helping support today's Windows and Linux server environment and related infrastructure, we're counting on this position to help us rethink, plan for and execute a multiyear transformation of our infrastructure to gain agility and velocity by leveraging public cloud, SaaS/IaaS and the like.
The ideal candidate for this position will have some experience managing and supporting Windows Server and potentially Linux (RHEL-compatible) systems. Just as important, however, is an interest in the ways that cloud services and next-generation, API-driven interfaces can be used to build modern IT infrastructure. Direct experience in leveraging AWS/Azure is nice to have but not required; more important is a strong technical aptitude, some programming/scripting experience, and a willingness to challenge yourself and our status quo.
In short, we're not looking for someone with all the cloud answers (if you had them, we'd want to work for you.) Instead, we want someone who is interested in the same questions and who has the passion and desire to develop our next-gen architecture with us. Women, persons of color, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and other candidates traditionally underrepresented in IT are especially encouraged to apply.
As part of a converged Infrastructure team, the Systems Administrator works together with the other network and system administrators to support all elements of the College's infrastructure (data center, storage, hypervisors, virtual/physical servers), network (edge and core routers, network distribution and access), and IT security compliance. The Systems Administrator is specifically responsible for installation, monitoring, maintenance, upgrade, and support of the campus systems infrastructure, including server/storage infrastructure (production and failover VM environments and storage arrays), backup systems and processes, and new server builds/maintenance on Linux/Windows. This position is responsible for providing system/application administration for certain campus services, middleware tiers (including IIS), and other infrastructure.
S/he will also lead ITS Infrastructure team efforts to leverage APIs, automation/orchestration, and open architectures including public and private cloud solutions to support the ongoing evolution and modernization of traditional infrastructure, collaborating with colleagues to ensure such infrastructure interoperates with premises based services.
As a member of the ITS team, the Systems Administrator is expected to uphold the department's mission to "drive digital transformation that advances Davidson's primary purpose" and contribute positively to a culture of collaboration, transparency, empathy, innovation, and accountability within ITS.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
System Administration (75%)
- Assist in building, maintaining, patching and updating servers and systems applications on Linux and Windows, including zero-day/time sensitive response to security vulnerabilities.
- Assist in supporting server infrastructure including hypervisors, storage arrays, backup clients/targets, and other infrastructure required to support ITS services.
- Lead on projects and operational activities to modernize ITS infrastructure through automation and orchestration.
- Lead infrastructure engineering efforts to leverage APIs and open architectures to make ITS infrastructure and systems highly available, flexible and frictionless.
- Support services related to authentication and security, including SSO technologies (ADFS, CAS, SAML2, etc.), SSL certificates, etc.
- Provide support for campus based applications and systems (including application and file servers, Active Directory, DNS/DHCP, web servers, campus card, printing and LMS environments).
- Design and support availability and performance monitoring systems for ITS.
- Implement solutions to migrate infrastructure to IaaS (AWS, Azure, etc.) where appropriate.
- Assist Application Team in supporting middleware services including web application tiers, load balancing/reverse proxy technologies, and identity/access management.
- Assist in coordination as needed with outside providers.
Network Administration (10%)
- Assist in patching network equipment as needed.
- Assist in the management of the wired network.
- Assist with implementation of core routing and switching solutions.
- Assist in implementation of network enhancement plans.
- Support and troubleshoot network access and performance issues.
Consultation and Engagement (15%)
- Consult regularly with ITS staff and departmental users to evaluate if developed solutions are being used to their fullest advantage and yielding the greatest possible efficiencies.
- Maintain current knowledge of best practices and future trends in enterprise applications and participate in user communities, professional associations, and conferences to share expertise and learn from others.
- Prepare and provide status, activity, project updates and reports, and other communications to ITS leadership and campus constituents, as needed or requested
- Bachelor's degree or two years of relevant work experience.
- Experience managing and supporting Microsoft Server 2012/2016.
- Understanding of public cloud (AWS, Azure) technologies and capabilities.
- Rudimentary experience with scripting technologies (PowerShell, perl, etc.) and APIs, including those used to address and interoperate with cloud services.
- Familiarity with VMWare ESX, Xen/Acropolis, or Microsoft Hyper-V virtual server environments.
- Understanding of storage area networks and replication/backup solutions. Experience with file operations and file storage (such as CIFS, NFS, NIS, Samba, and iSCSI).
- Ability to troubleshoot and interact effectively with vendor support offerings.
- Ability to balance system security with the needs of a variety of stakeholder needs.
- A 'can-do' attitude to challenges; energized by change and thriving in team-based work.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and customer service skills and ability to establish good working relationships with a wide range of people within an academic community.
- Project and time management skills, with ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Bachelors or advanced degree in computer engineering or computer science.
- Three or more years of relevant experience (beyond that listed above as a minimum qualification).
- Experience using public cloud (AWS, Azure) technologies including techniques for interleaving cloud resources with premises-based infrastructure (e.g., cloud APIs and other programmable interfaces, techniques for scaling out resources due to elastic demand, use of cloud for DRaaS/backup as a service approaches, etc.)
- Previous experience in higher education and familiarity with its common academic and business processes.
- Familiarity with Ellucian Banner.
- Understanding of Linux operating systems.
- Familiarity with Windows middleware including IIS web tier.
- Experience with some aspect of network administration (i.e. edge and core routers, layer 2 and layer 3 switching, or wireless network management)
Apply online at http://employment.davidson.edu Please attach a resume and cover letter to your application.
Davidson College is a highly selective, independent liberal arts college located in Davidson, North Carolina, that has graduated 23 Rhodes Scholars and is consistently ranked in the top ten liberal arts colleges in the country. Davidson is strongly committed to achieving excellence and cultural diversity, and welcomes applications from women, members of minority groups, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the college's mission.