The purpose of this position is to install, maintain, repair and replace all plumbing fixtures and appurtenances following recognized procedures and techniques of the trade of plumber; additionally apply similar skills to a multitude of mechanical devices and systems.
- Repair and maintain building plumbing fixtures and devices; determine method of repair, supplies and tools required.
- Repair and maintain domestic water, fire suppression, sanitary sewer, irrigation, and storm water piping and distribution utilities; Perform tests and inspections needed for compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Install new plumbing systems and devices, in both commercial and residential settings, following the National Plumbing code.
- General repair, maintenance, installation and/or fabrication of miscellaneous mechanical devices and assemblies, outside of plumbing trade but requiring similar mechanical skills. (Examples include: some food service equipment, some steam related equipment, some custodial or grounds equipment, some metal fabrication, etc.)
- Log work hours, materials and descriptions of work done in a work order management system. Maintain records and certifications needed for compliance with codes of local jurisdictions, for some plumbing related systems.
- Assist in the maintenance and repair of other campus systems and devices, in other mechanical trades, as part of workload balancing within the Mechanical Shop. (examples include: assisting in HVAC repair or installation; assisting in boiler, chiller, cooling tower, steam piping, chilled water piping repair; assisting in lock and key repair; performing drainage grading, etc.)
Minimum Qualifications: 1-3 year experience in commercial and residential plumbing needed. Some welding and fabricating needed. High school diploma Have knowledge and training using a variety of tool and industry practices in the plumbing and welding fields. Working knowledge of national plumbing codes needed. This position requires a NC driver's license and ability to maintain criteria set forth by the college's insurance company to drive a college-owned vehicle.
Preferred Qualifications: Ability to operate construction machinery
Knowledge, Skills, & Training: Able to diagnose problems, devise a work plan, and execute independently any reasonable task as assigned. Knowledge of safety procedures and practices. Customer oriented communication. Must bring a personal array of common hand tools required for the trade (power tools and specialty tools supplied).
Work requires lifting, climbing, crouching or working in awkward or cramped routines. Work indoors and out. Lift and transport piping and equipment; exposure to steam tunnels and pits; work in various locations including pipe shafts, crawl spaces and other confined spaces requiring stooping, crawling and bending, lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling materials and equipment.
This position is essential personnel and may by required to work during school closings and inclement weather.
Please complete the online application and include a resume.
Davidson College is a highly selective, independent liberal arts college located in Davidson, North Carolina, that has graduated 23 Rhodes Scholars and is consistently ranked in the top ten liberal arts colleges in the country. Faculty of Davidson College enjoy a low student-faculty ratio, emphasis on and appreciation of excellence in teaching, and a collegial, respectful atmosphere that honors academic achievement and integrity. Davidson is strongly committed to achieving excellence and cultural diversity, and welcomes applications from women, members of minority groups, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the college's mission.