We are seeking a talented, creative, and innovative technologist to join our Infrastructure team as a system administrator. At Davidson, we’re in the middle of an effort to rethink and transform IT from the inside out, and this position is a key part of our evolutionary journey. In addition to helping support today’s server environment and related infrastructure, we’re counting on this position to help us implement a multiyear transformation of our infrastructure to gain agility and velocity by leveraging public cloud, SaaS/IaaS and the like.
The ideal candidate for this position will have strong experience managing and supporting a Windows systems environment, including physical, virtual system and hypervisor/virtualization administration, experience with middleware including web servers, and storage/backup experience. The ideal candidate will also be comfortable with configuration management (like SCCM/JAMF), PowerShell scripting, and Active Directory infrastructure. We’re a RHEL/Linux shop, too, and experience in that area is nice to have (but if you don’t have it, this is a chance to learn some of those skills, too.)
While we want you to have a solid foundation in the above skills, we’re also looking for the new system administrator who joins our team to help us pivot towards an increasingly cloud-centered world. In this role, you’ll be supported in growing skill sets around infrastructure as code capabilities, including our Ansible/Ansible Tower-derived automation environment, API-centered system administration, and use of Azure and AWS for backup/disaster recovery and eventually primary service tiers. We’re not expecting you to be an expert in these areas (though we wouldn’t say no if you were) – more important is a strong technical aptitude, some programming/scripting experience, and a willingness to challenge yourself and our status quo.
Women, persons of color, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and other candidates traditionally underrepresented in IT are especially encouraged to apply.
As part of a converged Infrastructure team, the Systems Administrator works together with the other network and system administrators to support all elements of the College’s infrastructure (data center, storage, hypervisors, virtual/physical servers), network (edge and core routers, network distribution and access), and IT security compliance. The Systems Administrator is specifically responsible for installation, monitoring, maintenance, upgrade, and support of the campus systems infrastructure, including server/storage infrastructure (production and failover VM environments and storage arrays), backup systems and processes, and new server builds/maintenance on Linux/Windows. This position is responsible for providing system/application administration for certain campus services, middleware tiers (including web tiers like IIS), and other infrastructure.
As a member of the T&I team, the Systems Administrator is expected to uphold the department’s mission to “drive digital transformation that advances Davidson’s primary purpose” and contribute positively to a culture of collaboration, transparency, empathy, innovation, and accountability within T&I.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Build, maintain, patch and update servers and systems applications on Windows (primary) and Red Hat Linux, including zero-day/time sensitive response to security vulnerabilities.
- Support key middleware services including web application tiers, load balancing/reverse proxy technologies, and directories.
- Support systems automation and configuration capabilities through developing and troubleshooting scripts.
- Assist in supporting server infrastructure including hypervisors, storage arrays and technologies, backup clients/targets, and other infrastructure required to support T&I services.
- Provide support for campus based applications and systems (including application and file servers, Active Directory/DNS/DHCP, web servers, campus card, printing, and learning management system environments).
- Design and support availability and performance monitoring systems for T&I.
- Support projects and operational activities to modernize T&I infrastructure through automation and orchestration, and to leverage APIs and open architectures to make T&I infrastructure and systems highly available, flexible and frictionless.
- Assist in coordination as needed with vendors/outside providers and with other T&I staff and departments on application availability, performance, and projects (such as upgrades.)
- Participate in an on-call rotation of infrastructure and application team members.
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant work experience
- Experience administering, managing and supporting Microsoft Server 2012/2016 at a level equivalent to a mid-level system administrator.
- Knowledge of middleware elements including web servers and similar server roles.
- Experience with configuration management tools for semi-automated management of servers and systems.
- Experience supporting client/server backup solutions, networked storage and file system solutions.
- Ability to troubleshoot and interact effectively with vendor support offerings.
- Ability to balance system security with the needs of a variety of stakeholder needs.
- A ‘can-do’ attitude to challenges; energized by change and thriving in team-based work.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and customer service skills and ability to establish good working relationships with a wide range of people within an academic community.
- Project and time management skills, with ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Bachelors or advanced degree in computer engineering or computer science.
- Three or more years of relevant experience (beyond that listed above as a minimum qualification).
- Familiarity with one or multiple technologies used in our server stack, including VMWare ESX or other hypervisor environments; storage technologies like NTFS/SMB/CIFS/NFS, fiber channel, and iSCSI; F5 BIG-IP load balancers/ADCs or equivalent; web server tiers including IIS and Oracle WebLogic; Windows Active Directory and/or LDAP directory structures.
- Experience managing a mid-sized storage/SAN environment (50-75 TB), and supporting sub-OS/lights-out hardware elements of servers, blades, SAN and similar technologies.
- Understanding of Linux operating systems such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux or compatible branches.
- Experience with configuration/automation languages such as PowerShell scripting, System Center Configuration Manager, and Ansible.
- Knowledge of working with public cloud (AWS, Azure) technologies and capabilities and leveraging APIs/infrastructure-as-code concepts.
- Previous experience in higher education and familiarity with its common academic and business processes.
- Experience with some aspect of network administration (i.e., DNS/DHCP administration, edge and core routers, layer 2 and layer 3 switching, or wireless network management).
If interested, please go to https://employment.davidson.edu and include a cover letter and resume with your application. Review of applications will begin on July 18th.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.