Resident Director - July Experience
Job no: 492896
Department: July Experience
Position Overview: July Experience is a three-week residential pre-college program on the campus of Davidson College for rising high school juniors and seniors during the month of July. The Resident Director is a full-time, 4-week position starting June 24th, 2019 and running through July 20th, 2019. This is a residential position and requires leadership and maturity to oversee resident life for a college immersion program for rising high school juniors and seniors. The Resident Director assists in training and providing support for hall counselors, oversees the planning and running of daily activities, and assists with handling disciplinary and emergency situations. The compensation for this assignment is a stipend of $3,500 plus room and board during the employment period.
This is full-time, 24/7 position once students arrive. Resident Director will have free time while students are in class and/or programming. There may be situations where it is necessary to be on duty during these times, or utilized for program planning.
- Serve as supervisor and mentor for Counselor/Mentors. Assist Directors in planning and implementing staff training, actively encourage team building and unity, and maintain open communication throughout program.
- Complete Davidson College Van Certification (part of staff training).
- Remain substance-free (including alcohol) for the duration of the program.
- Oversee daily residential life for two dorms (80-85 students); including evening activities and nightly hall meetings.
- Maintain communication with Residence Life staff for hall needs (ex. Maintenance)
- Serve as on-call individual for emergencies from the hours of 7pm-7am.
- Assist with crisis and conflict management, ensure that dorms are a safe environment to live and study.
- Plan evening activities and assist with weekend activities under the direction of the Assistant Director.
- Schedule Counselor/Mentors to cover daily activity and supervision needs.
- Establish regular check-in times to help identify any issues with students or Counselor/Mentors
- Attend daily staff meetings.
- Attend all meals (breakfast is optional).
- Communicate any concerns with students or Counselor/Mentors to a Director as soon as the issue arises.
- Work with a Director when any parent contact is necessary.
- Use sound judgment in responding to emergency situations. Designate a Counselor/Mentor as a driver if a hospital or doctor trip is needed. Communicate with a Director for leadership staff coverage. Monitor the documentation process of emergencies.
- Ensure dorms are clean and assist with shut down/check out procedures at end of program.
- Convey support and enforce July Experience program policies.
- Bachelor’s degree, minimum of one year post-graduate work or education.
- Experience working with adolescents and/or young adults.
- Counseling, education, and/or residential life experience.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to problem solve and work independently, willingness to work non-traditional hours (including nights and weekends), maturity to respond when in a difficult situation, a strong sense of ethics and confidentiality when dealing with sensitive issues, sense of humor, and desire to work as part of a team to support high school and college students.
If interested, please submit an online application with resume and cover letter to http://employment.davidson.edu Please submit all application materials by January 13th, 2019.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend