Assistant Director for Career Development
Job no: 492914
Department: Center for Career Development
The Center for Career Development (CCD) has an opening for a creative and impactful Assistant Director to join the team. The Center for Career Development at Davidson College is a highly dynamic team committed to providing leading-edge career exploration, preparation and employment programs and services. The Center strives to be a national leader in the career development and support provided to students at a liberal arts college. This growing and innovative team are dedicated to working collaboratively, with each other and the student body, in addition to partnering with campus and external stakeholders to provide best-in-class support and direction to our students. The successful candidate will have a keen understanding of career development and student learning, a strong commitment to the liberal arts, and demonstrated skills engaging stakeholders through effective communications and highly effective programming.
Assistant Director of Career Development- The primary purpose of the role will be to positively educate students about career paths and provide individual, small group and large group career coaching and programming, to support and amplify the experiential education, training and development for students, and to support the employer relations and external partnerships critical to this success.
The Assistant Director of Career Development assesses students’ career interests; engages them in experiential learning opportunities and career planning through the delivery of the career curriculum and programs; prepares them for their post-graduate career search; and connects them with potential employers, fellowships and graduate / professional schools.
This position functions as a key member of Center for Career Development team, and participates in all Center activities including professional development, career advising and employer relations and stakeholder management.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coaches domestic and international students on best practice career management and professional development skills in one-on-one, small, and large group settings. The Assistant Director provides one-on-one and small group support for all phases of the career and job search lifecycle, including conducting assessments, mock interviews, career consultations.
- Conducts a high volume of one-on-one student and early-career alumni coaching to a high standard, meeting best practice protocols in a very dynamic environment, driving successful outcomes for student clients.
- In collaboration with colleagues, the Assistant Director will have assigned responsibility for aspects of the Center's career education services including planning, organizing, coordinating, delivering and evaluating career education functions.
- In collaboration with colleagues, the Assistant Director supports and amplifies the recruiting success of external partner firms and organizations and heightens the on-campus recruiting experience for students and employers, in addition to coordinating / managing assigned signature programs, career symposia and recruiting relationships, as assigned. Collaborates with colleagues to support employer relations strategy and coordinate on-campus recruiting, as needed.
- Plans, delivers or co-leads the implementation of career education (knowledge and skill-building) including workshops, panel discussions, large scale conferences, and e-learning/media. Under guidance, in line with CCD priorities, provides innovative career management programming including large workshops, experiential learning and special events - working creatively and collaboratively with colleagues.
- Consults and partners with external and internal stakeholders and student groups to guide in planning and delivering career-management related programming.
- Manages or leads various special projects/programs that provide career related support, or strategic initiatives to address the needs of special constituencies, as assigned.
- Solicits and analyzes student and employer feedback and evaluations and helps strategize with management team and other staff to determine program offerings and innovations. Measures success, tracks data and analyzes results.
- Analyzes markets and trends as they relate to students’ internship, job, graduate school outcomes and incorporate results into coaching students, and in developing career programming.
- The person in this position must be available and willing to work some evenings / weekends as required for career events and programming.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree in counseling, higher education or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in career counseling, program delivery, or talent management fields. Knowledge of career development theory and strong coaching / counseling skills. Experience in visioning, planning, designing, implementing, and evaluating innovative career programs an advantage.
- Experience with, knowledge of, and demonstrated interest in employment landscape and workforce planning. Updated understanding of career paths, employer requirements, internships, graduate school application process, etc.
- Strong writing, verbal, and presentation skills required.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills required. Excellent attention to detail.
- Deep commitment to client service and the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work successfully in a fast-paced environment required. Strong relationship management skills in working with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated initiative, positive attitude and the ability to work both independently and within a team required.
- Energetic, eager to work collaboratively, interest and ability to serve a highly diverse undergraduate student body and work in partnership with a wide cohort of faculty, staff and alumni across Davidson College.
- Technology and social media savvy required. Digitally dexterous with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office products (including Excel) and CRM systems.
- Highly motivated self-starter, able to work independently with great levels of responsibility and leadership skills.
Apply online at http://employment.davidson.edu and attach a resume and cover letter.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend