Davidson College seeks a Systems Engineer
Location: Davidson, NC
Click here to view position profile: http://summitsearchsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/DavidsonCollege_Syst_Engineer_Profile.pdf
As part of a converged Infrastructure team, the Systems Engineer works together with the other network and system administrators to support the College’s IT infrastructure -- including servers, storage/virtualization, middleware, disaster recovery/backup services, network, and security elements. The Systems Engineer is specifically responsible for installation, monitoring, maintenance, upgrade, and support of the campus systems infrastructure, including server/storage infrastructure (production and failover VM environments and storage arrays), backup systems and processes, and server builds/maintenance on Linux and Windows. This position is responsible for providing system/application administration for certain campus services, middleware tiers (including load balancing and web servers), and other infrastructure.
The Systems Engineer will architect and lead the Infrastructure team’s use of public cloud services such as Azure and AWS, including leveraging APIs and similar capabilities to improve provisioning, deployment, and maintenance of servers across on-premises and cloud tiers. The position will also serve as the lead administrator for Linux and will maintain Davidson’s Ansible and Satellite infrastructure services for automated build of Linux and Windows servers, and for patching Linux systems.
As a member of the T&I team, the Systems Engineer is expected to uphold the department’s mission to “drive digital transformation that advances Davidson’s primary purpose” and contribute positively to a culture of collaboration, transparency, empathy, innovation, and accountability within T&I.
The Systems Engineer will be expected to:
- Lead projects and operational activities to modernize T&I infrastructure through automation and orchestration.
- Build, maintain, patch, and update servers and systems applications on Linux and Windows, including zero-day/time sensitive response to security vulnerabilities.
- Lead infrastructure engineering efforts to leverage APIs, public cloud, and open architectures to make T&I infrastructure and systems highly available, flexible, and frictionless. Implement solutions to migrate DR/failover and production infrastructure to IaaS (AWS, Azure, etc.) where appropriate.
- Maintain and improve Davidson’s automation/orchestration environment (Ansible and Satellite) for automated build of Linux and Windows servers.
- Assist in supporting server infrastructure including hypervisors, storage arrays, backup clients/targets, and other infrastructure required to support T&I services.
- Support middleware services including web application tiers, load balancing/reverse proxy technologies, web application firewall, VPN/secure application access, and identity/access management.
- Provide support for applications, systems, and services (including application and file servers, Active Directory, DNS/DHCP, etc.) printing and information security, including SSO technologies.
- Maintain current knowledge of best practices and future trends in enterprise applications and participate in user communities, professional associations, and conferences to share expertise and learn from others.
- Prepare and provide status, activity, project updates and reports, and other communications to T&I leadership and campus constituents, as needed or requested.
- Associate’s degree in Information Technology; bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Four to five years (or more) of relevant work experience in system administration/programming.
- Experience managing and supporting Linux operating systems including Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Ubuntu or their derivatives, including developing system and configuration baselines, maintaining secure patch levels, and working with application teams to diagnose server problems.
- Experience managing and supporting Windows Server operating systems in a virtualized environment including developing system and configuration baselines, maintaining secure patch levels, and working with application teams to diagnose server related issues.
- Knowledge of one or more scripting technologies (PowerShell, Python, Bash, etc.) and demonstrated ability to use these for automation, orchestration, or DevOps environment support.
- Experience using or supporting public cloud (AWS or Azure) infrastructure, technologies, and capabilities.
- Work experience supporting middleware technologies such as load balancers and web servers.
- Strong project management skills, with documented experience conceiving/proposing, championing, and leading significant technology projects that advance the state of infrastructure or architecture within an organization.
- Ability to troubleshoot and interact effectively with vendor support offerings.
- Ability to balance system security with the needs of a variety of stakeholder needs.
- A ‘can-do’ attitude to challenges; energized by change and thriving in team-based work.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and customer service skills and ability to establish good working relationships with a wide range of people.
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Master’s or advanced degree in computer engineering or computer science, and/or additional years’ relevant work experience beyond the minimum level.
- Experience working with Ansible or Ansible Tower, or an equivalent platform (such as Chef or Puppet).
- Experience working with Red Hat Satellite patch/configuration management.
- Understanding of storage area networks and replication/backup solutions. Experience with file operations and file storage.
- Knowledge of VMWare ESX (preferred) or other virtual server environments.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows Server 2012/2016 including core system administration capabilities.
- Previous experience in higher education and familiarity with its common academic and business processes, or its enterprise systems (such as Ellucian Banner).
About the Institution:
Established in 1837 by Presbyterians of North Carolina, Davidson is a liberal arts college with a rich history and heritage that takes an innovative approach to liberal arts education. Students create new knowledge alongside faculty who are experts in their disciplines and develop relationships with faculty, staff, and peers that last a lifetime. At Davidson, students realize their talents and passions through the traditional liberal arts curriculum—literature and languages, philosophy and religion, music, drama and the visual arts, the natural and social sciences, and mathematics—and myriad experiences provided outside of the classroom. The college encourages student engagement with other cultures through study abroad and unique domestic travel and educational opportunities. The college also supports Division 1 athletics, including 21 sports, and offers a variety of social, cultural, and service activities. Davidson prepares students to think critically, make relevant and valid judgments, discriminate among values, and communicate freely with others in the realm of ideas.
As a college that welcomes students, faculty, and staff from a variety of nationalities, ethnic groups, and traditions, Davidson values every kind of diversity, recognizing the dignity and worth of every person while providing a range of opportunities for worship, civil debate, and teaching that enrich mind and spirit. Davidson challenges students to engage in service to prepare themselves for lives of growth and service.
History: Founded in 1837
Location: Davidson, North Carolina, 19 miles north of Charlotte
Located amidst beautiful greenery, towering trees, and a vibrant downtown, Davidson provides an intimate setting just a short 20-minute drive from Charlotte, North Carolina’s largest city.
Campus: 665-acre main campus; 110-acre lake campus
Brick walkways line the campus, classified as a national arboretum, and the Lake Campus, located on the largest man-made lake in North Carolina, offers recreational activities for the entire college community.
Endowment: $796.9 million as of December 31, 2018
Motto: Alenda Lux Ubi Orta Libertas. Translates to "Let Learning Be Cherished Where Liberty Has Arisen"
Majors Offered: 29 majors plus the Center for Interdisciplinary Studies
Minors Offered: 40 minors, including 14 interdisciplinary minors
Preprofessional Programs: 5 preprofessional programs including Prelaw and Premedicine
Number of Students: enrolls over 1800 students
About the Technology and Innovation Department:
Technology & Innovation (T&I) aims to drive digital transformation that advances Davidson's primary purpose. The division is responsible for facilitating college-wide technology strategy and planning, leading technology-driven innovations, managing the college's technology systems and services, and partnering with students, faculty and staff members to use and apply existing and emerging technologies that support, enrich and transform teaching, learning, research, and administrative processes.
T&I’s vision is for Davidson to serve as a model for higher education, with a digitally-savvy student body and workforce that can thrive in an increasingly complex and digital world. Institutionally, automation and data are leveraged to promote efficiency and effectiveness. Technologically, the open, interoperable, and inspired technology ecosystem connects people, information, ideas, and tools – both inside and outside of the college – to enable and drive personal and institutional agency, agility, and adaptability.
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; parties who apply by September 8, 2019 will be given first consideration. Please submit your resume and cover letter outlining your interest in and suitability for this position. To apply online, go to: https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=su171
For nominations or further information:
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
Davidson College believes the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, Davidson seeks to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.