The full-time research assistant will work under the supervision of Dr. Diana Leyva and Angela Febles in the Psychology Department at Davidson College. The successful candidate will have frequent contact with school principals, teachers, parents and their children in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school district (NC), as well as research assistants at Davidson College. Targeted start date is January 13, 2020.
The full-time research assistant will participate in all aspects of the project, which aims to evaluate the effectiveness of a family literacy program called Food For Thought. Participants in the program include Latino kindergarten children and their parents. All children are Spanish/English bilingual growing up in low-income households.
75% of work will take place on Charlotte-Mecklenburg elementary schools, and 25% of work will take place in the lab at Davidson College. Charlotte does not have a good public transportation system. Therefore, the successful candidate should have a car and a driver’s license (or be willing to get a car). Compensation for mileage is part of the salary package.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Assessing children’s academic skills
- Recruiting participants in schools
- Communicating with school principals, teachers and parents
- Implementing the family literacy program in schools
- Mentoring undergraduate research assistants
- General administrative duties (e.g., photocopying, etc.)
- Data clean-up, transcription, coding, and entry
- Bachelor's degree
- Fluent in Spanish (speak, read and write)
- Demonstrated interest in working with the community (school principals, teachers, children and/or parents)
- Strong organization skills
- Excellent communication skills with children and families, as well as school principals and teachers
- Be able to get tasks done efficiently
- Be detail-oriented, motivated, creative, organized, and able to work independently
This is a one-year full-time appointment with the possibility of extension. Please apply online at https://employment.davidson.edu. Include a cover letter describing your research experiences and career goals (max 2 pages), resume, and contact information for three references. For more information, please email Dr. Diana Leyva (email@example.com). Applications will be reviewed immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.