Fellowship & Experiential Learning Adviser
Job no: 493222
Department: Center for Career Development
The Center for Career Development (CCD) has an opening for a creative and impactful Adviser to join the team. The Center for Career Development at Davidson College is a dynamic team committed to providing leading-edge career exploration, preparation, and employment programs and services. The CCD strives to be a national leader in the career development and support provided to students at a liberal arts college. This growing and innovative team is dedicated to working collaboratively, with each other and the student body, in addition to partnering with campus and external stakeholders to provide best-in-class support and direction to our students. The successful candidate will have a keen understanding of experiential learning and competitive fellowships, a strong commitment to the liberal arts and serving underrepresented students, and demonstrated skills engaging stakeholders through effective communications and programming.
Fellowship & Experiential Learning Adviser – The primary purpose of the role will be to educate students about competitive fellowship and experiential learning opportunities through individual advising, group programming, and resource development. The Adviser will engage students their first year to build awareness of opportunities that exist, with deliberate efforts to reach first-generation students and students from underrepresented populations. The adviser will coordinate a specific portfolio of competitive fellowship and experiential learning activities, collaborating with and informing CCD colleagues and campus partners of critical opportunities. In addition to this portfolio, the Adviser will collaborate with the Sr. Assistant Director for Fellowships & Scholarships to provide support for other awards, such as Fulbright, Rhodes, Gates Cambridge, Boren, Beinecke, etc. plus a few internal Davidson College fellowships and scholarships.
This position functions as a key member of the Center for Career Development team and participates in all CCD activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advises domestic and international students and alumni on competitive fellowships and experiential learning opportunities in one-on-one, small, and large group settings. Provides coaching on the planning and preparation for opportunities such as nationally competitive fellowships, internships, research experiences, job shadowing, etc.
- Plans, delivers, or co-leads the implementation of fellowship and experiential learning events (knowledge and skill-building), including information sessions and workshops. Consults and partners with external and internal stakeholders and student groups to guide in planning and delivering related programming.
- Under advisement, regularly evaluates and updates online resources on platforms such as Handshake and CCD website.
- Maintains institutional records of advisees, applicants, and outcomes. Works with CCD Assistant Director for Events & Marketing, Sr. Assistant Director for Fellowships & Scholarships, and other internal and external stakeholders to promote opportunities and individual and institutional successes.
- Solicits and analyzes student feedback and evaluations and helps CCD team strategize to determine program offerings and innovation.
- Must be available and willing to work some evenings/weekends as required for events and programming.
- Will collaborate with CCD team for additional program management that could include the Davidson Impact Fellows program, Summer Internship Grant Funding program, or summer internship and research programs.
- Fully participates in office planning and team development activities to support the overall CCD function, including weekly staff meetings and regular 1-1 meetings with supervisor. Adviser will report to the Executive Director of the Center for Career Development.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred
- Experience in higher education career development, nationally competitive fellowships, student services, or a related field required
- Demonstrated success in career advising, professional development preparation, advising, or counseling of undergraduate students preferred
- Excellent relationship management, coaching, and influencing skills
- Professional oral, presentation, and written communication skills
- Demonstrated skill in advising students on their writing
- Ability to engage student body and successfully develop relationships to support their career success
- Advanced technology skills, particularly knowledge of MS Office suite, Google Drive, and Dropbox; Handshake experience a plus
- Highly motivated self-starter, able to work independently with great levels of responsibility and accountability
Apply online at https://employment.davidson.edu and attach a resume and cover letter.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend