Assistant Director for Civic Engagement/Director Freedom Schools
Job no: 493697
Department: Civic Engagement
The Assistant Director of Civic Engagement & Director of Freedom Schools is a full-time, 12 month Student Life professional within the Davidson College Center for Civic Engagement reporting to the Director of Civic Engagement & Bonner Scholars.
The Assistant Director coordinates the Freedom Schools Program at Davidson. Developed by the Children's Defense Fund (CDF), the program provides summer enrichment experiences for 50 youth in grades K-8. The program fosters a love of reading, increased self-esteem, and positive attitudes towards learning. Each year, six Davidson students receive training to serve as servant leader interns for the program, which is grounded in a model curriculum that includes five essential components: high quality academic enrichment, parent and family involvement, civic engagement and social action, Intergenerational leadership development, and nutrition, health and mental health.
The AD provides oversight for the Federal Community Service Work-study program coordinating part-time engagement with established nonprofit partners for 20-30 students with financial aid allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses while positively impacting the community.
The Assistant Director plays a central role in coordinating events and programs in the center including a semi-annual granting program, collaborative programming across the division that focuses on the intersection of civic engagement and social justice issues, and student group advising.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Program Oversight
- Freedom Schools
- Implement marketing to recruit primary and secondary school youth for the summer program.
- Develop and maintain relationships with community partners. Obtain all necessary certifications and licenses to operate Freedom Schools at satellite locations during the summer.
- Manage institutional and grant budgets for the Freedom Schools Program
- Coordinate logistics for summer program including catering arrangements, transportation for scholars and enrichment events/programs
- Coordinate the arrangements for all related National CDF meetings and trainings at Alex Haley Farm for self, site coordinators, and servant leader interns. Maintain regular contact with CDF in Washington, DC and complete any required reports in timely manner.
- Design, develop and implement assessment and evaluation plan that measures scholar learning outcomes and intern outcomes, as well as program effectiveness in partnership with CDF office.
- Recruit, Hire, Train and Supervise Freedom Schools summer staff (e.g., site coordinator and 6 student servant leader interns), ensuring the implementation of the Children's Defense Fund program. Design, develop and implement local trainings for Servant Leader Interns which emphasize social justice and the Children's Defense Fund's yearly themes. Develop daily inservice and debriefing sessions for servant leader interns while summer program is in session.
- Federal Community Service Work-study Program
- Work with student employment, the Financial Aid Office and established nonprofit partners on the recruitment of qualified students into the program
- Maintain contacts with established community organizations
- Coordinate the training and enrichment activities for the program
- Track and report program hours
- Programming & Event Coordination
- Support the Center Director with the office's semi-annual granting processes from start to finish including publicity, information sessions, and award deliberation. Manage annual Projects for Peace Granting process. Coordinate annual donor dinner for granting program and develop an annual reflection publication for the event.
- Plan and implement the center's annual campus-wide Orientation Community Engagement project in consultation with the Center for Civic Engagement team
- Support collaborative programming with departments across the division (e.g., Center for Diversity & Inclusion) that focuses on the intersection of civic engagement and social justice issues
- Student Leader Advising/ Leadership Development
- In conjunction with other staff in the Center, advise service-based student organizations within the Civic Engagement Council (CEC), sustain relationships with related nonprofit organizations, assist the Director of Bonner Scholars with curriculum delivery, and participate as needed in first-year service trips during spring break.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Master's degree in higher education, multicultural education, student affairs or related field is required.
- A minimum of 2 years related professional experience working with students in the area of community engagement.
- Experience with program development and assessment.
- Ability to build relationships with a wide range of audiences including nonprofit partners, students, staff, faculty and families.
- Strong understanding of individual cultural history and willingness to be open and respectful of other cultures.
- Solid commitment to the success and well-being on youth.
- Strong communication skills.
- Appreciation for the role that liberal arts institutions play within the community.
- Familiarity with web tools and social media.
Apply online at https://www.employment.davidson.edu and attach a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin on January 4th and the posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Davidson College is a highly selective, independent liberal arts college located in Davidson, North Carolina that has graduated 23 Rhodes Scholars and is consistently ranked in the top ten liberal arts colleges in the country. Faculty of Davidson College enjoy a low student-faculty ration, emphasis on and appreciation of excellence in teaching, and a collegial, respectful atmosphere that honors academic achievement and integrity. Davidson is strongly committed to achieving excellence and cultural diversity, and welcomes applications from women, members of minority groups, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the college's mission.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend