Social Media Manager
Job no: 493860
Department: College Communications
The College Communications team’s mission is to tell the college’s story. We are seeking a social media manager who is proactive in helping the team fulfill its mission through our social media channels. The Social Media Manager develops, maintains, and executes a comprehensive social media strategy that increases engagement and furthers the national visibility of Davidson College. Serving as the key administrator of the college’s primary social media channels, the Social Media Manager will join a highly collaborative team of colleagues who work together to develop story ideas, build campaigns and plan communication programs that generate engagement, build deeper connections with the college and expand Davidson’s reputation, reach and impact.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the implementation of the college’s overall social media strategy and day-to-day operations of the college’s main social media channels.
- Responsibilities include content planning, scheduling, posting, monitoring, managing and communicating campaigns.
- Regularly reviews social media metrics and account statistics, identifies and reports on trends and outcomes, and identifies opportunities for additional engagement.
Idea Generation and Strategy
- Collaborates in generating ideas and developing original content for social media and digital initiatives, including video, aimed at multiple audiences (prospective and current students, alumni, and families).
- Supports the editorial process by sharing digital stories effectively across relevant social platforms.
- Tailors social media content appropriately for each channel and its online community, reflecting the college’s distinctive voice and institutional priorities.
Leadership and Training
- Provides thought-leadership on the college's social media strategy as well as emerging social media trends and general best practices.
- Leads by demonstrating wise judgment in responding to or recommending responses to current events or conversations on the college’s social media channels.
- Facilitates and attends regular meetings with other social media managers across the college, including Admission, Development, Alumni Relations, Athletics, Student Life, and other offices to discuss and plan social media strategy, tactics, upcoming campaigns, and reviews and shares outcomes.
- Continually identifies opportunities for broader campus engagement around social media and the sharing of experience, knowledge, goals/objectives, and social media standards and policies.
- Acts as a resource to campus constituencies on social media best practices and how to leverage social media for departmental communications.
- Maintains the system of record for all social media accounts associated with the college.
Emergency and Crisis
- Identifies issues developing on social media and escalates as necessary to other communications staff and college leadership.
- Consults with leadership to craft thoughtful messages and responses for social channels.
- Serves on, and offers guidance to, the college’s emergency response team.
- Bachelor’s degree and field of study in English, journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, or related field.
- Minimum three years demonstrated professional experience managing an organization’s social media presence, including experience with social media strategy, planning, posting, monitoring, responding and reporting.
- Experience writing, editing and proofreading content on behalf of a brand/product/program/institution.
- Strong storytelling skills, mastery of grammar, punctuation, and the AP Stylebook; adept at identifying and writing engaging content.
- Digital ad placement, optimization and measurement within social media platforms.
- Strong project management skills; ability to work independently and also collaborate on a team, establish priorities, work within deadlines, organize effectively, and multitask.
- Attention to detail with the ability to work quickly, creatively, and accurately under tight deadlines.
- Availability to respond to issues or questions that arise during evening and weekend hours.
- Knowledge of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 and inclusive design.
- Taking photos and producing short audio and video for immediate use on social media to help tell timely stories as they occur.
- Leveraging social media to increase traffic to a website(s) and positively impact SEO.
- Experience working with Hootsuite, Sprout Social, Cision, or other social media management platforms.
- Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Photoshop and Acrobat, and/or software to size and optimize photos for social media posts.
- Adobe Premiere and related video and audio software to produce videos.
Think you have what it takes but don’t check every box? Reach out to us anyway. Together we can determine if you could be a great addition to the team.
Please submit an application, along with your resume and cover letter to https://employment.davidson.edu. In a supplemental document or within the cover letter, please address the following:
- Please provide us with links to social media accounts you have managed and describe your role and approach to each.
- Please describe (and/or provide links to) content and/or campaigns that you’ve posted and your role in their production.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend