The Catering Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the catering chef with all catering, including coordinating and overseeing food production and catered events when necessary. The ideal candidate will need to use sanitation knowledge to handle food and clean the kitchen properly. The Catering Sous Chef researches and develops new recipes, and advises the catering chef on logistical, procedural, and staffing issues, helping to implement departmental changes.
Production of High-Quality products for catering events
Supervision of culinary and support staff with a focus on teamwork, enthusiasm, and service
Execution of events, assisting the catering chef with on/off-site catering events, plating all courses, working action stations for buffets and ensuring proper storage of food.
Keeping the kitchen clean and sanitized through periodical and daily cleaning.
Properly labeling of all products
Menu research & development including identifying current market trends, researching current cuisine and developing new recipes.
Work a varied schedule based on business needs
- HS diploma or GED is required.
- ServSafe certification preferred.
- Three years of experience minimum.
- Volume cooking, fine dining, banquet and catering experience is preferred.
- Must be knowledgeable in all areas of the kitchen including: volume/batch cooking, baking, butchery, grilling, roasting, sautéing, soup & sauces, knife skills, safe and sanitary food handling, banquets, buffets, salad and cold food preparation, artistic tray production, carving stations, action stations, appetizers and hors d'ourves, plating etc.
- Must be able to read and follow a recipe properly.
- Properly measuring kitchen ingredients and food portions.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs.
- Must be able to stand on their feet for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work quickly, efficiently and neatly, and be able to monitor more than one thing at a time.
- Taking charge of kitchen opening, closing and other side duties as directed by the Head Catering Chef
- Must be able and willing to do any task assigned by Head Catering Chef which may including working in a different operation on campus. (Vail Commons, David Café, Wildcat Den, etc.)
If interested, please submit a resume online at https://employment.davidson.edu along with an application. Review of applications will begin immediately.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.