Davidson College is requiring new employees hired into jobs posted after August 1, 2021, and all employees with a start date on or later than September 1, 2021, to be vaccinated to help protect the health and safety of our community. New employees will be required to submit proof of at least the first dose of a vaccine on or before their start date and proof of full vaccination no later than 5 weeks after their start date. Please see the full new hire vaccination policy here.
The Director of Alumni and Family Engagement serves as a visible, front line ambassador for Davidson College. The Director is responsible for implementing a recently completed strategic plan, providing ways to engage alumni with one another, in support of students, and with the college. In addition, the Director oversees strategies to engage current families by providing information and access to resources that support the student experience. Davidson College is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and the engagement strategies developed by the Director must demonstrate this commitment. A successful candidate welcomes feedback and conversation around the life of the college and communicates regularly with alumni and families. The Director is responsible for a team of eight colleagues with three direct reports. The Director successfully collaborates with members of College Relations and with campus partners from all divisions.
- Lead efforts to implement the priorities identified in the recent strategic plan:
- Build community using shared connections with Davidson
- Promote inclusion and respect diverse perspectives
- Enhance student and young alum engagement
- Employ the Davidson network to support students and alumni
- Provide opportunities for lifelong learning
- Partner with families to support students
- Establish and build relationships with a wide range of alumni and families. Maintain regular communication with alums and families via direct contact, email, newsletters, and print publications.
- Manage the Alumni and Family Engagement team, including three direct reports. Provide leadership and guidance for daily work and encourage professional development and growth.
- Collaborate closely with development colleagues in increasing support from alumni, creating programming that furthers development goals and proactively sharing information.
- Serve as secretary to the Alumni Association; provide direct staff support and leadership to the Association officers and the Board of Directors.
- Oversee and balance the budget for Alumni and Family Engagement. Develop annual operating plans and individual goals, providing quarterly updates of progress.
Strong collaboration and communication skills are necessary for this position. A willingness to engage with people of all ages and differing perspectives is essential. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to work effectively and sensitively with diverse populations and professional development in this area is advantageous. Dynamic public speaking and strong writing skills are required. Experience using databases and comfort with virtual programming is beneficial.
Multiple events associated with new student orientation, family weekend, and commencement. Twenty percent of the alumni population is invited back to campus each June. (Planning and event implementation for reunion weekend is extensive.) The Engagement team participates fully in the development efforts during the annual day of giving (currently held in the spring) and in the end of the fiscal year efforts in June.
Office environment. Required to work considerable nights and weekends. Frequent overnight travel is involved. Physical mobility is required for most, if not all, events on and off-campus. The Director must understand and advocate for the mission of Davidson College and the value of a liberal arts education.
- 5-7 years of related professional experience is preferred
- Experience engaging multiple constituencies, effectively communicating aspirational goals, managing a team, and creating successful collaborations will be most helpful to the successful candidate.
- The experience can be in alumni relations, higher education administration, or non-profit administration but is not limited to these fields.
To apply for this position, please visit the Davidson website: employment.davidson.edu and submit your resumé and cover letter.
Preference will be given to applications received by December 1, 2021.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.