Innovation Portfolio Manager
Job no: 493995
Davidson College is requiring new employees hired into jobs posted after August 1, 2021, and all employees with a start date on or later than September 1, 2021, to be vaccinated to help protect the health and safety of our community. New employees will be required to submit proof of at least the first dose of a vaccine on or before their start date and proof of full vaccination no later than 5 weeks after their start date. Please see the full new hire vaccination policy here.
The Innovation Portfolio Manager at the Jay Hurt Hub for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Davidson College will be responsible for developing, delivering and managing a portfolio that advances Davidson’s strategic innovation initiatives. This person will play a key role on the leadership team at the Hurt Hub@Davidson focused on expanding liberal arts beyond our campus with new learners and developing new revenue streams for the College. This role will also co-lead the College’s Innovation Council with the Innovation Projects Lead and support design team initiatives for the College.
Top candidates will have “fun doing the impossible” and will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, enjoying the process of testing, learning and iterating to develop exceptional initiatives to help fulfill Davidson’s statement of purpose - to assist students in developing humane instincts and disciplined and creative minds for lives of leadership and service - and to pursue the expansion of a liberal arts education outside our campus. You are not afraid to take risks and move quickly, while also having an unwavering focus on inclusion, equity, ethical behavior, and high quality standards. You must also be an excellent communicator, have extensive experience in managing a diverse group of stakeholders, and be comfortable making data-driven decisions. We run the Hurt Hub@Davidson like a startup and encourage applications from those outside the world of higher education and non-profit organizations as well.
- At least 5 years in roles that require multi-stakeholder management, new product development, launch and business growth
- Experience developing product roadmaps, financial models and budget forecasts
- Experience managing multi-product or service portfolios with client-facing responsibilities
- Bachelor's degree; MBA or equivalent experience highly desirable
Responsibilities and Experience include:
Market Research and Product Development:
- You treat every conversation with our community as an opportunity to learn and to develop insights to inform the overall Innovation portfolio vision and new initiative development. You have experience in both qualitative and quantitative research methodology and execution and understand how to turn insights into action.
You’re an expert on the domain and market(s) you serve, with the ability to understand the macro and micro trends, competitors, and to apply Davidson’s strengths to developing new, differentiated initiatives.
Portfolio Management and Roadmap Development:
- Turning a strategic vision into a 1-3 year roadmap with clearly defined deliverables and priorities is something you’ve done many times and understand how to turn ideas into reality. You have experience with Agile product and project management methodologies and are comfortable working with goal-setting frameworks like Objectives and Key Results.
- You will partner with the Innovation Projects Lead to design a 12-18 month portfolio roadmap, assess capacity, determine milestones & timelines, budget requirements and other resourcing needs.
- You can think critically about what makes it onto the portfolio roadmap and what remains in a backlog. You don’t get distracted by new shiny opportunities without proper research and analysis and can say no diplomatically.
- You have experience managing a multi-product / initiative portfolio and are just as comfortable in prototyping stages as you are with transitioning launched products to a more permanent owner or making the call to sunset a product.
- You’re comfortable developing financial forecasts, you can estimate initial investment needed, and can determine payback periods for new projects.
- You actively seek feedback on existing initiatives and believe in continuous improvement through experimentation, analysis and measurable success criteria.
Stakeholder Engagement and Management
- You understand that it takes a village to develop new and to manage a robust portfolio. You have a proven track record of working successfully across internal stakeholders, cultivating relationships with customers and external partners, and senior leaders. You also have some experience working with government and other public sector leaders.
- You’re an excellent communicator and collaborator. You can articulate your strategic vision as well as the specific details to accomplish your goals. You’re comfortable setting goals, communicating updates often, and taking responsibility for the successes and missed opportunities.
- You’re comfortable asking for help and you understand the limits of your knowledge, but you have an insatiable curiosity and are willing to learn.
- You can rally a team and motivate them to join you on your journey, clearly articulating roles and responsibilities, timelines, milestones and success criteria, especially when they do not report directly to you.
- Serve as a representative and evangelist for Innovation initiatives at the Hurt Hub@Davidson, across campus, and within our community to drive greater awareness and involvement.
- Participate in Admissions and College Relations activities as requested by the Director of the Hurt Hub@Davidson including training, webinars, panels, special events, etc.
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports on the health of the Innovation Initiatives portfolio, strategic vision for the future and/or requests for resources.
Reports to: Liz Brigham, Director, Jay Hurt Hub for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Davidson College
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend