New employees with a start date on or later than March 1, 2022 must be fully vaccinated when they first report to work at Davidson College. Please see the full new hire vaccination policy here.
The Department of Chemistry at Davidson College seeks to hire a tenure-track faculty member in the area of bioanalytical chemistry at the Assistant Professor level beginning July 1, 2023. Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Chemistry or a related field before the start of the appointment. As a department and a college, we are committed to diversity and inclusion (https://www.davidson.edu/about/commitment-diversity-and-inclusion), and current members of the department actively participate in initiatives that enrich teaching and mentoring of our diverse student body. We especially welcome candidates that have benefited from, contributed to, or created programs directed toward diversity and inclusion.
Qualified candidates will be analytical chemists whose research examines a biological system, broadly defined. The position includes start-up funds and a personal research lab in a state of the art, interdisciplinary science building housing modern instrumentation. In addition to analytical chemistry, teaching may include introductory chemistry, advanced courses in the applicant’s area of specialization, and introductory biochemistry. We are also interested in candidates whose teaching interests include justice/equality/community (https://www.davidson.edu/offices-and-services/registrar/graduation-requirements/justice-equality-and-community), data science, or digital studies components. Courses in first-year writing and lab science courses for students not pursuing STEM majors are also valued. The normal teaching load is five courses per year; in the first year, faculty teach four courses.
How To Apply
Davidson College collects all faculty job applications electronically. Email and paper applications will not be considered. The portal where you will submit your application can be found at https://employment.davidson.edu. Preference will be given to applications received by October 1, 2022.
The following materials must be submitted with your application.
A Cover Letter
Please address the letter to Professor Cindy Hauser. Search Committee Chair. Your cover letter should typically be one or two pages and include a description of your specific interest in an appointment as an Assistant Professor at Davidson College. A brief summary of your educational and professional preparation for the position should also be included.
A Detailed Curriculum Vitae
Your CV should typically be between two and five pages and include:
1. Education and Training beyond high school.
2. Teaching training and professional appointments, if any.
3. A complete list publications clearly delineating work from undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral or other professional work. Please highlight your contributions by underlining your name in the author list and note instances of joint authorship.
4. A list of service work, if any.
5. A list of awards or other citations related to teaching, research or service, if any.
6. A list of three people who may be contacted later for letters of recommendation. Include contact information (email, phone and address).
7. Additional information may be included like scholarships, grants, patents, presentations, posters, etc.
A Statement of Teaching Experience and Philosophy
The teaching statement is typically three to five pages long and includes descriptions of the following:
1. Prior teaching experiences that you have had, and how your past experiences will inform future teaching practices.
2. Your teaching philosophy that will guide your teaching practices.
3. How you will foster an inclusive academic community in your classes. It may be relevant to include a description of how you have benefited from, learned from, contributed to, and/or created programs that fostered a community aligned with Davidson's institutional commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
4. What specific courses in our current curriculum you would be excited and prepared to teach. We are specifically looking for candidates that would be able to teach foundational (200-level) courses in biochemistry and analytical chemistry.
5. One or two new courses in your area of expertise you would be excited to design.
6. Whether your teaching interests might extend outside the major. Examples might include writing courses, courses with a data science or digital focus, environmental studies, or courses for students not pursuing STEM majors.
A Statement of Your Research Plans
The research statement is typically four to six pages long, and may include figures, graphs and tables. Literature citations are welcomed but not required. The purpose of the research statement is to describe the following:
1. Your research plans in the area of bioanalytical chemistry (including specific information about the initial research aims that your group will target). Your application will be reviewed by chemists and non-chemists, so please include a general overview in addition to specific details.
2. How your proposed research is independent from research goals that were part of your prior training.
3. How you will incorporate undergraduate students in your research, including plans or philosophies surrounding the mentorships of students with no prior research experience or from underrepresented groups in STEM.
4. The major pieces of equipment that your research will require, noting any equipment not already present at Davidson College (see this list of equipment).
The Search Process
The search committee is composed of all tenure-track and tenured faculty members in Chemistry, as well as one external voting member from another department (as required for all search committees at Davidson), and is advised by an equity advisor who attends all meetings.
Letter of recommendation are not required as part of the initial application; they will be requested later in the process. In your CV, please include names and contact information of three people who are willing and able to submit letters of recommendation. These letters will need to be submitted shortly after requested, so please inform your references ahead of time to avoid any delay.
Submission of official transcripts from Undergraduate and Graduate education are not required in the initial application; they will be required later in the process. Inquiries may be directed to Cindy Hauser, Search Committee Chair, email@example.com.
Davidson College is a highly selective, residential, four-year liberal arts college, located 20 miles from Charlotte, NC that is consistently ranked among the top liberal arts colleges in the country. Davidson places emphasis on excellence in teaching, features outstanding facilities, and provides institutional funding for research, travel, and sabbatical leaves. Davidson faculty and students benefit from small class sizes at all levels. A collegial, respectful atmosphere honors academic achievement and integrity, upholds educational excellence, encourages student-faculty collaborative research, and prioritizes inclusive pedagogy.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.