Davidson College Freedom School Site Coordinator
Job no: 494330
Department: Civic Engagement
Davidson College Freedom School Site Coordinator
The Freedom Schools program was developed by the Children's Defense Fund (CDF) and provides summer enrichment experiences for students in kindergarten through eighth grade. The program fosters a love of reading, increased self-esteem, and positive attitudes towards learning.
We are seeking a Site Coordinator to provide oversight of the day-to-day operations activities of the Freedom Schools program at the summer site.
BASIC FUNCTION: Provide oversight of the day-to-day operations activities of the Freedom Schools program at the summer site. Support the implementation of the Davidson College Student Development paradigm at the summer site by implementing the CDF Freedom Schools curriculum.
- Coordinate the day-to-day operations of Freedom Schools by Communicating and implementing the daily schedule for Freedom Schools
- Coordinate meal times with set up, clean up and organizing volunteers
- Maintain accurate site-specific documentation and paperwork
- Select and implement site procedures for activity transitions and dismissal
- Coordinate afternoon activities including proper setup and provide support during afternoon activities
- Submit timely and accurate site supply requests
- Maintain site inventory (snacks and supplies)
- Coordinate and supervise all site volunteers (provides end of summer volunteer feedback and form) o Enter all required child, parent and staff enrollment data in CDF’s reporting system.
- Communicate and implement Davidson College/Children’s Defense Fund Freedom Schools selected theme at summer site
- Given the existing framework of Freedom Schools Finale, connect with SLI’s periodically to ensure that selected projects are on target for presentation
- Organize and coordinate Harambee volunteer readers (in tandem with Program Director)
● Provide developmental support for Servant Leader Interns including:
- Clearly communicating & maintaining behavioral expectations for SLI’s and scholars
- Providing feedback to SLI’s in an effective and positive way on their interactions with scholars, each other, parents and delivery of the Children’s Defense Fund Freedom Schools curriculum
- Delegating site tasks to SLI’s as appropriate and assist SLI Floater when necessary
- Supporting group problem solving during daily debriefing sessions with SLI’s
● In tandem with the Director, maintain positive communication with Scholars, Servant Leader Interns, Parents and the Director by:
- Creating an inclusive environment that is respectful of a variety of cultures
- Participating in enthusiastic daily Harambee celebrations o Interacting with Scholars during meals
- Communicating parent observations/suggestions to the Director
● Attend all FS events including national and local training (as needed), debriefing, program orientation, and Finale.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelors Degree
- Experience in teaching and/or after-school programming
- 1-3 years of supervisory experience
- 1-3 years of experience with administrative support
- Strong interpersonal skills and programming skills
- Ability to take initiative with limited guidance
- Familiarity with the Freedom Schools Program
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize competing demands
- An understanding of and sensitivity to individual cultural history, diverse educational needs, and children’s advocacy is essential
- Enthusiasm for the Children’s Defense Fund (www.childrensdefense.org) and its Freedom Schools program (www.freedomschools.org)
- Ability to motivate others
- Ability to think critically and analytically
- Exhibit appropriate behavior and positive attitude; model a mature and professional demeanor
- Final candidate must submit authorization for a background check for criminal and child protective findings
- Candidate must be available for Freedom Schools’ national training, local training, and program dates:
- Pre-Local Training: May 23 -May 25 (optional, but encouraged to attend)
- Local Training 1: May 30 -May 31
- National Training: June 1- June 4
- Local Training 2: June 5- June 8
- Freedom School Program: June 12- July 21 Travel, lodging, and meals are covered for national training.
Temporary, Office/classroom environment. Moderate outdoor activity is required.
If interested in applying, please go to https://employment.davidson.edu and complete the online application, along with a cover letter and resume.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend