Temporary Animal Care Tech
Job no: 494413
Department: Animal Care Use
Davidson College is seeking an Animal Care Technician to assist in the daily care of animals used in research and teaching.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Cleaning and maintenance of animal rooms (rodents, avian and aquatic species); sanitizing rooms and equipment.
- Providing routine care of research animals; performing daily observations for animal health and ensuring adequate supplies stocked in animal rooms and laboratory spaces.
- Monitoring and reporting on environmental rooms and housing conditions.
- Recognizing and reporting clinical abnormalities and irregularities in animals; learning the variations among laboratory animals and modes of disease control.
- Administering medications to animals as needed.
- Maintaining accurate and prompt records in accordance with outlined procedures, reporting areas of noncompliance to the Animal Facility Manager.
- Understanding and complying with all operating and regulatory requirements related to the care and use of laboratory animals; assisting in the training of students on general animal care and laboratory procedures.
- Receiving and storing materials and supplies, including lifting 50-pound feed bags.
- Performing other assigned tasks, such as use of autoclaves and laminar flow hood, ordering supplies and record keeping.
This position is classified as essential personnel and requires weekend and holiday work. Candidates must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and perform all job duties as assigned by the Animal Facility Manager.
High School diploma or GED required. Associate's Degree and/or 1-3 years of animal care experience in an animal care facility is strongly preferred. Must demonstrate a strong interest in learning and developing skills in the animal research field. Training and certification in safety standards, chemical handling and animal care is highly desirable. ALAT or LAT certification a plus.
Information about how to submit an application can be found at https://employment.davidson.edu.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend